Tuesday, March 4, 2014

First DBQ Reflection

Today in class, we took our first Document-Based Question (more commonly known as the DBQ), and the results were quite conclusive.  I was extremely familiar with the content, primarily because we went over the material in class the previous day.  As far as answering the questions and coming up with the right answer is concerned, I felt as though I was fully prepared.  The most problematic error that I faced while writing the DBQ was time-related.  After the time was called, I had only finished discussing the eight documents.  I was able to start writing the "why is the source credible?" section, and all of the ideas were implanted in my mind; however, I was unable to finish this section as well as the additional source document.  Therefore, it is safe to conclude that I took too much time writing the document analyses.  This has been a reoccurring problem, not only with the DBQ, but also with other essays I have written.  I had all the knowledge I needed to score well on the essay, but the time was my downfall.  I feel that writing practice essays, especially when being given the material in advance is an awesome way to get to know the style of writing we have to be accustomed to, since it is distinct from the Change and Continuity Over Time and Compare/Contrast Essays.  This also allows us to work on out time management and other skills without having to worry about the actual information.

No comments:

Post a Comment